Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Mother's Day

Over the last 7 years, the Mother's day holiday has been bitter sweet for me. On June 30th, 2003, I lost my mom to a long bout with MS. If you don't know anything about multiple sclerosis, it is a debilitating disease that attacks the nervous system in your body. So for years, my mom couldn't do anything for herself. It didn't start bad, but over the years it gradually got worse and worse. If you knew my mom though, you would have never known. She had the gift of encouragement! Even in her situation, she chose to have joy!

I recall a time back in 1992, when my family took a road trip from Portland, OR to The Bay area in California to go to Magic Mountain theme park. It was a long trip, and at this point in my mothers health, she was now confined to a wheelchair, but she still had some of her motor skills. She could still speak and use her hands and arms pretty well. Her energy would run low and my Dad would have to assist her with going to the bathroom. Basically we had to stop a few times at motels so she could be comfortable when having to do that. As kids, we were growing impatient with all the stops, cuz we wanted to get to the rides!!! So when we finally get to Magic Mountain, we're having a blast, riding everything! This is when my mom did something that I will never forget. She decides she wants to get on the roller coaster!!! Now this is a woman who is confined to a wheelchair, dealing with a condition that is attacking her body. This is where she showed me that it's not about the condition of your body or your situation that matters, but the condition of your heart! She chose to be joyful no matter what! She was going to live her life to the fullest and enjoy everything God has blessed her with! Needless to say, she got on the ride and had a blast!! And of course as kids we loved it, cuz they let us at the front of the lines because of my mom!

So this Mother's day I'm going to choose to be joyful and reflect on how my Mom chose to be joyful in spite of her situation!

"These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full."

John 15:11

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful Darius!! Proud of you brother! Your consistency is a blessing. Keep flourishing...be all that God has called you to be. We haven't seen all of Darius Fentress yet!! So blessed by what we have seen though! Blessings man! -Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweetheart, this is such a powerful story! Thank you for opening up and sharing with the world.... Thank you for the reminder that in spite of it all, we must STILL have joy!!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is awesome D. i remember the day. i sat next to mom that day. ill never forget it... thanks for sharing D...

    ReplyDelete